Friday, 16 September 2016

Heading slowly back to our marina

Friday 16th September
On Tuesday morning after we had let both dogs have a good run about in the field close by we set off and headed for Fradley, we moored before the water point on the Coventry Canal and took the dogs for a walk and then had a bite to eat. We then pulled onto the water point and topped the water up.
Filling up the water tank.
Once we were all full Kev took the windlass and walked to open the swing bridge for me and then he went to our first lock of the day, Junction lock, where there was a boat already going down in it. There was a volunteer lockie there, I pulled over onto the lock landing and waited while the lock was filled again as there wasn't a boat coming up, and we were soon down through the lock and Kev walked on to the next lock, Keepers Lock. Here again there were no boats coming up, it was pretty quiet for Fradley.
Approaching Keepers Lock
Marley, not fazed by the locks, although he is tethered!
A close up for Lee & Vicky!
Just waiting for Kev to get the gates open.
By the time we had got to Alrewas we still hadn't had any boats pass us, it had been a lovely sunny cruise and we moored in Alrewas. Once we were all tied up we had a walk with the dogs and then I went to the shop for a few bits. Later on about 4.15pm the sky turned black and we had to put the lights on inside, it wasn't long before the heavens opened and it poured with rain along with thunder & lightening! 
On Wednesday morning about 6.30am we took the dogs out for a short walk towards Alrewas lock to do their business, and as we were getting close to the water point Kev pointed to something swimming across the canal from the towpath side to the other side, it was a Mink! Later on that morning we had a walk into some fields with the dogs and there was a man jogging and we mentioned to him about the mink and he told us that there used to be a man called Tom who used to trap the mink but he died and so now there seem to be quite a few of them about, he had seen one swimming in  the canal with a rabbit in its mouth! It is strange that I had said to Kev that we hadn't seen any rabbits about! These mink are real killing machines!
After we had got back from our walk we had a cuppa and then we got ready to leave Alrewas & I took the windlass and walked to the lock while Kev followed on the boat, the lock was full so I only had to crack a paddle open to open the gate for him. We stopped at Branston Water Park for lunch and walked the dogs around the lake. As we set off once again and as we got through Branston bridge we saw.....
Both sides of the canal!

The land is being cleared for the building of 3,500 new homes & a school! More countryside lost to development!
We finally moored for the day at Shobnall fields and I had sent a text to Ben & Michelle, (who bred Jaz) to let them know we were there and so they came to see how Jaz was doing. They brought one of there dogs with them and all 3 dogs got on really well. Reggie is 10 months old and has won several shows and Ben & Michelle are hoping that he can qualify for Crufts! So good luck to them.
Marley, Jaz & Reggie all chewing on a log! 
Yesterday morning was quite foggy and was still quite misty as we left Shobnall fields about 8.30 am. I walked up to Dallow lock to get it ready for Kev. Once again the canal was very quiet and we only had one boat passing us. When we got to Willington, Nigel was waiting for us as he was going to Midland Chandlers at Mercia marina. So we moored just through the road bridge outside the Green Dragon pub and Nigel came aboard for a cuppa. We were there for a while chatting and so as it was getting near lunchtime, Kev asked Nigel if he wanted to have a bite to eat with us. So while I got some food ready Kev & Nigel took the dogs for a walk. The sun had come out by this time and it was lovely and warm. After a bite to eat Nigel said his good byes to us and he left and so did we and headed for our first double lock at Stenson. Kev had to fill the lock, which takes quite a bit as it is quite deep, as I was going into the lock another boat came up and shared the lock with us. When we got to Ragley Boat stop we moored for the day and sat outside at a table close to the boat and Kev went to the pub and got us a nice cold beer, while I sat with the dogs.
 Jaz & Marley sat with Kev

Our mooring.


  1. I see in your photo that the electric point was covered up at Ragley ! Are they all out of use?

  2. Hi both of you, no just that one was covered up & not in use.