Tuesday, 29 August 2017

Meeting friends at Lowsonford

Tuesday 29th August.
Last Thursday (24th August) it was a nice morning as we set off and it wasn't long before we stopped to fill with water just after Turners Green Bridge.
Leaving our mooring last Thursday morning.
Approaching Turners Green Bridge.
While Kev filled with water I took Jaz for a walk and then once we had the water tank full we headed towards the turning for the Stratford canal.
Ahead is our turn onto the Stratford canal.
Just through the bridge ahead is the Stratford canal.
We then turned left and pulled over just before lock 22, there was a boat waiting to go down the lock but Kev wanted to empty the cassette but as there were boats moored at the sanitary station & water point I had to hold the centre line of the boat while Kev walked over the lock to empty the cassette. By the time he was back the boat that was waiting to go down the lock had gone down so I moved up onto the lock landing and Kev filled the lock ready for me to take the boat in.

In lock 22.
We dropped down the next 2 locks and moored not far from the next lock 25. We had come onto the Stratford canal to get to Lowsonford where we were meeting some friends on Saturday and also meet up with Mayanne (My friend Pam's daughter) who lives at Lowsonford as she works for show jumper Robert Smith. We rang Mayannne after we had moored to see if she wanted to meet up and luckily she was on her day off so we arranged to walk towards her with Jaz and met her not far from Lowsonford! Anyway she had her dog Stan with her and we all walked back to the boat and then  Kev worked the locks down to lock 30 while Mayanne stayed on the boat with me. We moored just before the lock as we didn't know if there would be any moorings opposite the Fleur De Lys pub where we were hoping to moor for the weekend.
Mayanne & Stan.
Mayanne asked if I would like to go and see the horses at Roberts yard and I was glad to go, Kev said he would walk to the Fleur de Lys pub with Jaz while I went with Mayanne, her car was parked close by so we left Kev at Lowsonford bridge and drove to the yard. After I had been shown around, which I thoroughly enjoyed Mayanne took me back to meet Kev & Jaz at the pub. He was sat in the beer garden in glorious sunshine so we all sat and had a drink.
On Friday morning we dropped down lock 30 and got moored exactly where we wanted and it was a beautiful sunny day so once we had got moored and sorted we sat in the sun for the day.
Perfect mooring!
On Saturday we spent another lovely day in the sunshine, we were going to meet Mayanne and our friends Maureen her husband Shaun & their 2 boys Harry & Freddie for a meal in the Fleur De Lys pub. Mayanne had booked a table for 7.30pm. Maureen & family had been to Warwick castle for the day and had a room booked in Coventry so they were only about 20 minutes away from their hotel.
Good fun & a good meal too!
On Sunday morning we waited for Maureen, Shaun & the boys to arrive as we had planned to take them all for a cruise. They all arrived about 11.30am and we were soon on our way.
Kev showing his crew how to work a lock!
Shaun waiting to push the bow off & let go of the centre line.
Maureen & Harry taking photos of Shaun!
Look at these two sat doing nothing!!
When we got to Wootton Wawen we turned around and headed back, it had been a super day with laughs all day and the sun didn't let us down either it was glorious. We managed to get moored back at Lowsonford about 6.15pm and so we all had a walk to the pub hoping to have a meal! Oh no they were stopping serving at 7pm and the pub was closing at 9pm! Well that was a surprise as it was a bank holiday weekend we didn't expect that, as we were all hungry Maureen drove us to the Durham Ox at Shrewley where they had a hog roast, singer & pub quiz going on and food too!! We all had lovely meals. We were dropped back on board later on in the evening and said our goodbyes to Maureen, Shaun & boys an thanks to you all we had a great time.
Yesterday morning was another sunny start to the day, after I had put a wash on and it had finished we left  Lowsonford.
Passing this lovely little shed.
Lapworth bottom lock just before M40 motorway.
Going up the Lapworth flight of locks.
This lockie kindly helped us up all the locks! Kev is at the next lock emptying it for me.
A lovely cottage at the next lock, the lady told me they have been there 43 years!
The lockie left us at the top but we still had 4 more locks to do, by the time we had got to the Wharf Inn at Hockley Heath we moored and went over for a pint and took Jaz with us, it was lovely sat in the beer garden. Then while I was just taking a mouthful of my lager I got stung on the inside of my bottom lip by a wasp that had got into my glass and I didn't notice it! My god did it bloody hurt! One of the lads that was collecting glasses was very kind to take the glass which was still quite full & had the wasp in it back to the bar and they gave me another drink free. I kept my eye on that one!!
Sat in the beer garden
We had a walk over the road after our drinks to a Rolls Royce & Maclaren dealership to window shop.

This morning we left Hockley Heath about 8.50am, and what a difference in the weather, it was cooler and we had a bit of drizzle too. We made our way to Kings Norton Junction and turned right towards Birmingham.
Through the lift bridge at Shirley.
Entering Brandwood tunnel 352yards long, with 3 boats coming the other way.
Guillotine lock which is open.

 Turning right onto the Worcester & Birmingham canal
 A heron sitting patiently.

Bournville station.
Moored here briefly to empty the cassette
Gas street basin

Heading to moor close to Sea Life centre.

No comments:

Post a Comment